Creating a welcoming hallway. Your hallway is the first place that people will see when they come to your house. A hallway is the first and last impression people have of your home. You want it to be a warm and welcoming space. You want it to embrace you and entice you in after a long day and make you feel cosy once you are inside. It is the place in the home that will get the most footfall and therefore you want it to be somewhere that looks and feels great.
There are many ways that you can achieve this desired effect with a combination of lighting, mirrors and good design. It is surprising what an impact these factors can have. Read on for tips on how to create a welcoming hallway.
- Consider natural lighting – what natural lighting what you do you have, this is an important consideration in a hallway, especially if it is small. If you have natural light, utilise it and make the most of it.
- Think of the size – consider the size of your hallway, if you have a small hallway don’t assume you can’t make it welcoming. Don’t forget to add mirrors that can reflect the light and make the space seem much brighter. It is also an opportunity to add some style but they are also functional. If you are lucky to have a large hallway, embrace it and make it like another room in your house.
- Use statement lighting – statement pieces such as chandeliers or wall lights are ideal for making the hallway welcoming and eye-catching. Ceiling lighting such as a chandelier or statement pendant light can make a statement focal point in a hallway. It can also be your starting point for style and the colour palette that you are going to use. Adding a lamp or a pair of lamps if you have room to a console table can add interest and symmetry. Wall lights can be installed along the length of the hallway if you have a long hallway or on the wall of your stairs.
- Be wise with the colours – hallways are often quite narrow spaces, so to avoid them feeling small, paint them in light, neutral colours. This will make them feel bigger and will reflect light in the space too and help with creating a welcoming hallway.
- Storage – storage is so important, having somewhere to put coats and shoes means you hallway is easy to keep clutter free and there is a sense of calm when you return home.
- Somewhere to sit – having somewhere to sit and take your shoes off is a must for the perfect hallway. No one likes balancing with one hand on the wall to take shoes off. It also makes the hallway more of a room as well, rather than a place to pass through.
- Statement artwork and photos – a gallery of photos going up your stairs or a large piece of artwork at the end of the hallway to draw you in. Adding photos and art allows you to inject your personality and instantly make it feel like a home.
ARCFORM is an independent family business that handcrafts luxury and bespoke lighting to illuminate your home.
Made in our Warwickshire studio in Leamington Spa.
View our lighting collections here.